Monday, November 3, 2014

Villa Sur II Week 7




Bishop Yanez and wife. He is from Spain:)

Hola!

What a week! Where do I begin! Can I start by saying that God is a God of miracles and love! He is so aware of our needs and never gives us more than we can handle! This week has been another very exciting and fulfilling time to be a servant in the Lord´s vineyard!

The weather this week was extremely hot! 32 degrees celcius and more....close to 90 if my mental math is correct....been a while since I´ve thought about school haha. The pure temperature is not that bad, the Sun is the problem! I have never felt such a strong Sun! It literally pierces the skin and feels like a hot iron...a tangible electromagnetic wave you could say. Haha yes mom, I have been using lots of sunscreen, although I am still pretty burnt. This week is supposed to be a lot cooler.

Omar and Coni got married on Friday!!! I am so happy for them! They had the wedding in the house and it was so packed! Probably 60 people...all relatives and friends. Elder Kennedy and I only stayed for the actually ceremony. We were standing outside of the house waiting for it to start, when Coni´s aunt came and dragged us right into the house behind Omar and Coni! Lets just say Elder Kennedy and I are in all of the pictures...Im sure most of the family is not happy, but I thought it was really neat and symbolic:P  We are really excited for their baptism this Saturday!

We had probably the strangest and funniest experience last Thursday. We were at the home of the Moralez Gonzalez Family (Family of 5 investigating the church) for "once"(small dinner) and a lesson. We had the lesson, and just sat down for once. Brother Gonzalez is definitely Chilean...which means he love to talk. It´s actually quite common here. People will go on talking for 10 straight minutes changing topics....all without breathing or pausing for your input. Well, he was on one of his monologues, and Elder Kennedy and I were looking at our watches and sweating  (we have a rule to be in the pension by 9:30). It was 9:18 and we live about a 8 minute walks away. I said a quick prayer to help us be obedient....

then I had the thought to cough. Haha so I did! It sounded so real! It competely stunned Brother Gonzalez, and took him out of his trance. I kept on having a quite realistic cough attack. Elder Kennedy was able to change subjects and we got up and left! I still don´t know how it worked! We ran home and made it just in time. 1 Nephi 3:7 is so true! 

7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

Elder Kennedy and I died laughing. The look on the Brother´s face was priceless.

We are still having trouble getting some people to church. Sunday mornings are the time for one of the Ferrias....a huge market that runs the length of the street. We left during one of the classes yesterday to find and bring some people to church. We found Maria Soledad (recen convert) in the Ferria and brought her to church! The Sabbath Day is a real struggle for some people here! We are trying to show pure love and help them understand the importance of taking the Sacrament! I love this work! I love the mission! I love my Savior and know that all people can change! Repentance is real!

Love you all,
Elder Harries


No comments:

Post a Comment